Life and times in Norfolk

Life and times in Norfolk
Life and times of a South African and his partner, 2 dogs, 9 chickens and an Afrikaans cat all happily living in a seaside cottage on the North Norfolk Coast.

Thursday 28 July 2011

Gilly Guillemot of Brancaster

Yesterday morning as soon as the dogs and I got onto the beach, I noticed this little still bundle that looked like a baby penguin washed up on the sand. The dogs ran over for a closer look and I dashed over to stop them. The poor little thing moved but was too exhausted to do anything but lie there.
I scooped it up and we headed for the car while I made a call to the one person who would know what to do and where to take it - Lin!
She told me of the wildlife RSPCA in East Winch and from my description told me it was a Guillemot.
The mad dash began, the dogs and I bundled into the car and Gilly lay exhausted on my lap as we raced to get her help. It was like a movie, full of screeching tyres and slamming brakes (thank-you to my iphone for directing me there)
They seemed confidant she would recover, admitted her and packed her off to see a vet. I was assured she would be released as soon as she recovered (bar major ailments)
I never knew this amazing facility was available to the wildlife of Norfolk and I hope everyone uses it whenever they see animals in need, which, by all accounts, is regularly here in Norfolk!

No comments:

Post a Comment