Life and times in Norfolk

Life and times in Norfolk
Life and times of a South African and his partner, 2 dogs, 9 chickens and an Afrikaans cat all happily living in a seaside cottage on the North Norfolk Coast.

Friday 2 December 2011

Pasteis De Nata...mmmmm



Some time ago I went to visit a good friend of mine from my school days who now lives in Lisbon. She took great delight and went to great effort to show me the best Lisbon has to offer in 4 days. Without doubt the favourite of these was Pasteis de Belem. There is no competition.
We ordered our coffees and custard tarts, Alexandra had been building this moment up throughout the day and the expectations were high. They didn't disappoint, they arrived at the table still warm from the oven. We sprinkled them with cinnamon and icing sugar and tucked in...I have wanted to go back ever since, the tarts would be worth the flight alone!
So with much excitement, I found a recipe that appeared to stay true to the original - no short cuts. I made a couple of unsuccessful batches. The sweet flaky pastry proved elusive. So have decided to go with ready made All Butter Flaky Pastry instead. The custard, although time consuming, was perfect so I figured that to cheat on the pastry was allowed surely?
And what a winner it was! Even though they are nowhere near as perfect as those made in Lisbon, they are delicious enough to do, so I'm not complaining, and I am saving myself the airfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment