Life and times in Norfolk

Life and times in Norfolk
Life and times of a South African and his partner, 2 dogs, 9 chickens and an Afrikaans cat all happily living in a seaside cottage on the North Norfolk Coast.

Saturday 28 May 2011

Farewell Speckled Lilly

On Wednesday evening I rushed up to the allotment to collect Lilly and take her home in the hope that I could make her better, she had been getting better earlier in the week but I received a text from my friend Lorraine to say she had taken a turn and was very poorly indeed.
So I dashed from the train to find poor Lilly in a wee pile inside the coop, the severe winds that have been bashing the North Norfolk Coast this week had done nothing for her fragile state, she didn't fight or make a sound she just gave in and let me tuck her into my arms and take her home where she let me open her beak and feed her-not a good sign.
Anyway, I took her outside for some fresh air and with a shiver and a sigh she died in my arms, my heart broke a little as I wept.
I buried her under a rose bush in the garden so I think of her daily. I still feel a twinge each time I collect eggs and there is no speckled egg from her, I think they were my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment