Life and times in Norfolk

Life and times in Norfolk
Life and times of a South African and his partner, 2 dogs, 9 chickens and an Afrikaans cat all happily living in a seaside cottage on the North Norfolk Coast.

Sunday 22 May 2011

Lilly loves a drama

Late last week the lovely Lilly started acting oddly and wasn't her usual busy self. Being a novice to all things ''chook'' I thought it might be that she was either Crop or Egg Bound - so I furiously set about steaming and massaging the poor thing to no avail. Her crop was large and full of liquid that sloshed about when it was rubbed. So I googled the symptoms and was surprised to learn that she might have 'Sour Crop' Why have I never heard of this?!?
I did as they suggested and turn her upside down and massaged her crop to empty it - which occurred immediately and did it a couple more times for good measure.
This morning I found my old Lilly back to her usual self - the relief! But I will be keeping a close eye on her for the next few days
The chook education continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment