Life and times in Norfolk

Life and times in Norfolk
Life and times of a South African and his partner, 2 dogs, 9 chickens and an Afrikaans cat all happily living in a seaside cottage on the North Norfolk Coast.

Monday 13 June 2011

A Lemon Tree has 9 Lives

Brad bought a lemon tree last year for the grand old price of £1 and we figured we would give this notoriously tricky fruit a bash - it's my favourite and I've dreamt of owning my own fruit laden lemon tree ever since I saw my Auntie Joan walk into her garden and pick a fresh lemon for our Gin and Tonics on a hot summers day in Johannesburg a few years ago.
Our climate in Norfolk is nothing like it is in South Africa so I knew I would have a hard time keeping it alive, never mind fruiting!
Last summer it grew about 10cms and gave off a few lovely leaves - enough to give me hope....and then a very very harsh winter came and even though I brought her under cover the few days of -8 degrees seemed to have killed her off. In spring, with a heavy heart, I went to pull her from her pot to make way for yet another Hydrangea and noticed signs of life, she had indeed survived, if only just!
I watered her and brought her into our new greenhouse where, very quickly, a leaf appeared,  and then another and another!
Watch this space....that dream may yet come true...

No comments:

Post a Comment